Prenatal & Postnatal Care
For the women who come to me for prenatal chiropractic care, the goal is obvious: a healthy mom and baby after a healthy birth. Currently, the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) recommends that women receive chiropractic care throughout pregnancy to establish pelvic balance and optimize the room a baby has for development throughout pregnancy. With a balanced pelvis, babies have a greater chance of moving into the correct position for birth, and the crisis and worry associated with breech and posterior presentations may be avoided altogether.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy can provide benefits which include:
• Maintaining a healthier pregnancy & avoiding preterm labor
• Controlling symptoms of nausea, vomiting, high blood pressure
• Reducing the time of labor and delivery
• Relieving back, neck or joint pain, and sciatica
• Preventing a potential cesarean, breech or transverse delivery
• If you are 1 in 200 women who suffer from pre-eclampsia, chiropractic care may be of benefit
• Dr. Provencher is Webster Certified - trained to work specifically with pelvic balance in pregnancy
• Providing explanations for re-occurrences of miscarriages
The millions of changes that occur in a mother’s and developing baby’s body during pregnancy place a great amount of pressure on the nerves, muscles, and bones of the spine. The most predominate change is the protruding abdomen, which increases the curve of the lower back. These changes place excess stress on the nervous system. Why is this important? Remember it is the nervous system that controls and coordinates all processes of life, including the reproductive system of the mother and the cells, organs, and tissues of the developing baby. Keeping the spine aligned helps the entire body work more effectively.